Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Love it when a plan comes together!

I love those random situations, where you find something that you didn't even know you were looking for and once you do find it, wonder how you could live without it. It all started with a friend, JH, inviting me to a pampered chef party. I wasn't sure I could make it but decided an hour before that I would go. JH was also bringing another friend and in the five minute drive to the party found out: 1. E is a teacher on a break but wants to get back into it. Ring a ding ding ding! 2. She's looking for a challenge, maybe an older student with special needs. Double ding a ling a ling!! 3. She believes in a multiple discipline approach rather than focusing on only one subject. I felt like I had died and gone to heaven or maybe an angel had been sent to answer a unasked for prayer.


I like to think I lived a charmed life. I tell myself that all the time and most times I actually believe it. I think what it is is I recognize a good thing when it falls into my lap because most good things in my life happen when I don't plan it out. I had been trying to figure out the summer, you know, what to do with three kids, big age spread and developmental spread. I wanted something fun yet educational and that wasn't going to break the bank. Due to health reasons my daughter not only missed the fall of third grade but now learning has become slightly harder. My older (autistic) son will be going into middle school at a first/second grade level and there is not as much hand holding there. My three year old just seems to thrive on chaos.


Suffice it to say I am going into the summer much more relieved knowing I won't be doing it alone and trying out this experiment of cooperative teaching is exciting. She's coming up with lesson plans and field trips tied to IEP goals while I'll be playing the supporting role of driver and watching all the little ones and hopefully will become a little wiser myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment