Friday, August 7, 2009

Trying on a new hat

We all wear them; actually we probably wear several at the same time. In our rush thru life sometimes we might forget which ones we are wearing until we notice maybe they don’t suit us anymore or we’ve let the hat or several hats become neglected. I know thru my life I’ve tried on new hats, enjoyed my current hats and shed hats, sometimes without realizing. I’ve met some people who make sure whatever hat they are wearing matches their outfit down to the last detail and some who wear them a bit more haphazardly. I know some people with so many hats; I don’t know how they keep track of them all and keep them in such good condition. The smart ones have figured out how to keep all those hats balanced on their heads without too many tumbles.

I’m not one that wears a tremendous number of hats (I have to keep my balance) though if I start counting it might surprise me. My everyday hats include my mommy hat, which is very tall and colorful, one for my spouse, which is red and a bit saucy, and my friend hat with its wide brim covered in ribbons and flowers. I have other hats that don’t get worn as often but every now and then will dust off and try them on to see if they fit. Then, on those late nights or early mornings when the kids are asleep, I take a look at my special collection. These hats haven’t been worn but I’ve kept them around in the hopes that I’ll have the courage to wear them. You know the hats I’m talking about, we all have them. I picked mine up somewhere long forgotten and every year see them and marvel at the different colors and the shapes. I hesitate and wonder as I try on this writing hat that has caught my eye. The color is bold yet dark and muted and the shape is kind of funky but I remember when I found this one and how much I enjoyed putting those first words on paper. Putting on this hat reminds me why I have been keeping this collection in the first place.
What kind of hat are you keeping around but not putting on? The extra time, feeling ready, the uncertainty of being able to keep all those hats from falling off are just some excuses I gave myself. For me, I’m ready to wear that off color, funky looking writing hat. Perhaps after reading this you’ll share your story of either when you finally put on that hat or describe that special hat you’ve been dying to try on. Until then stay tuned to see if I can keep my new hat from falling off.

No comments:

Post a Comment